Blog Archive

Monday, August 12, 2013

Practicing my editing skills

My baby girl loves having her picture taken. I had just a few minutes of free time (haha what's that right??) the other day. I looked outside and it was a perfect overcast day! What luck!  I grabbed my camera and a few props, wrapped my daughter's hair and headed out. My boys came out with me armed with umbrellas.  I'm happy they came out because I gave them the job of keeping my camera dry from sprinkles and adjusting my props. 

My daughter is a natural and I had an easy time with this shoot.  She loves the camera so I can pretty much get her to do anything I want.  Like any kid though, she had to call the shots after a while or I would end up with red eyes and a pouty lip for pictures lol.

 
 
 
BEFORE:
 
AFTER:
 
I edited out the speckles in the far left corner first. I have no idea where they came from. I think I need to check my lens for dust.  Next I messed with the lighting, highlighted her cheeks, eyes and hair with the "burn" tool. I really liked the artistic look of this picture so I fudged with the shadows and green hues as well.  I have to say that this is my favorite edit of the day.
 
 
BEFORE:
 
 
I did my usual lighting and saturation adjustment on this picture first. I wanted to give her eyes a real sparkle in this one. I love this picture because she is really happy here and it shows my "real Makayla". Her expression makes my heart happy :)  I believe I used a dodge tool on her eyes first and then the burn tool to highlight just a little. I really like how her eyes turned out in this one.
 
 


AFTER:
 

 
 
 
BEFORE:
 
 
This next picture I was trying a different perspective. She was done posing and messing with the umbrella so I decided to sneak a picture behind some pretty weeds growing. I like the emotion of this picture. Much more tranquil when the focus is on the green foliage rather my girl.  It gives me a feeling of how nice the weather was that day, the plants just a little damp from the rain..
 
AFTER:



BEFORE:

 
I don't usually like to use black and white very often. I'm a big fan of colors and bright hues to express emotion. This picture, however was way less "busy" without colors.  It really brings your attention to her face and the details of her expression.  I feel it's way more calming and pleasing to look at and study versus the original full of different colors and hues.
 
AFTER:





No comments:

Post a Comment